Undergraduate Program Admission Process
Becoming a Geography Major at NMSU
You may become a geography major at ANY TIME during your academic career at NMSU. If you know that you want to study geography at the time of admission to the university, declare geography as your major during the admission process (See "General Information for Entering Freshmen" below.). If you would like to declare geography as your major at a later point in time, simply complete this Request for Change of Major form.
General Information for Entering Freshmen
To study geography at New Mexico State University (NMSU), you must first apply to NMSU and be admitted to NMSU.
To be admitted to NMSU, you need to:
- Complete an admission application (hardcopy or online).
- Submit a $20 nonrefundable application fee (this can be done online as part of the application process, or sent in as a check or money order with the hardcopy application).
- Send a copy of your transcripts to:
Office of Admissions, MSC 3A
New Mexico State University
P.O. Box 30001
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003
- Have official ACT or SAT test scores sent to NMSU:
ACT: www.actstudent.org or 1-319-337-1270. NMSU's ACT code is 2638.
SAT: www.collegeboard.com or 1-212-713-8000. NMSU's SAT code is 4531.
- After your final semester of high school, have your final official transcript sent to the NMSU Admissions Office (address above) to complete your admission.
For more information about the application process, transfer students, or dual use credits, click here.
For information on the majors offered at NMSU, click here.
For information about placement based on test scores, click here.
Other Questions? Contact the Admissions office:
Phone: (575) 646-3121 or 1-800-662-6678
Physical Address: Educational Services Building, Suite A
Problems or Questions?
If you have any problems or questions regarding your admission to the geography program, contact any of the Geography Faculty at NMSU or Hilda Olivas, the Student Program Coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences at NMSU.