Admission to the program requires that you submit all required application materials through the online system of the NMSU Graduate School.
NMSU Graduate School Application
NMSU Graduate Admissions provides information for U.S. Citizens and Permanent U.S. Residents on how to apply for graduate studies at NMSU. In essence, the process requires that you a) complete and submit an online application and b) pay a non-refundable application fee.
International Student Services provides information for International Applicants on how to apply for graduate studies at NMSU. Like U.S. Citizens and Permanent U.S. Residents, International Applicants have to a) complete and submit an online application and b) pay a non-refundable application fee. However, International Applicants have to submit c) official transcripts with proof of graduation to International Student Services and d) their TOEFL scores. s
NMSU Department of Geography Application
The Department reviews applications throughout the academic year. Students interested in funding through the Department should submit their applications and funding requests by 15 January for fall applications and 15 August for spring applications.
To apply to the NMSU Department of Geography Master of Applied Geography program, all applicants must submit the following through the NMSU Graduate School online application system: a) letter of application, b) resume, and c) letters of reference and online reference forms from three referees.
The letter of application should include:
- the general topic in which you are interested for graduate study;
- your previous education in geography and other areas that are relevant to your interest area;
- previous employment relevant to your desire to obtain an advanced degree in geography;
- your goals for the period immediately following your proposed graduate work at New Mexico State University;
- what factor(s) attracted you to the Master of Applied Geography; and
- the names, titles, and address of three individuals whom you have asked to write letters of reference.
The resume might include:
- your name, current address, and telephone number;
- a listing of all post high school educational institutions that you have attended, including dates, degree sought (awarded), and your GPA;
- a listing of academic honors or awards;
- an indication of your experience with various computer hardware and software packages; and
- an itemization of your employment history.
Contact Graduate Advisor, Dr. Michaela Buenemann, for more information.